Two years ago, the world witnessed a tragic incident outside Kabul Airport that killed 13 brave American service members and over a hundred innocent Afghan civilians. The scars of that event linger, reminding us of the gravity and cost of our endeavors.
Operation Recovery commemorates the lives and sacrifices of these individuals:
- Marine Corps Staff Sgt. Darin T. Hoover;
- Marine Corps Sgt. Johanny Rosario;
- Marine Corps Sgt. Nicole L. Gee;
- Marine Corps Cpl. Hunter Lopez;
- Marine Corps Cpl. Daegan W. Page;
- Marine Corps Cpl. Humberto A. Sanchez;
- Marine Corps Lance Cpl. David L. Espinoza;
- Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Jared M. Schmitz;
- Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Rylee J. McCollum;
- Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Dylan R. Merola;
- Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Kareem M. Nikoui;
- Navy Petty Officer Third Class Maxton W. Soviak; and
- Army Staff Sgt. Ryan C. Knauss.
Each name represents not just a soldier, sailor, or marine but also a beloved family member, a cherished friend, and a proud citizen answering the nation’s call. Hailing from every corner of our country, their stories are diverse, but their purpose was unified: to serve and protect. Their heroism, showcased during one of the most significant evacuation operations, will forever stand as a beacon of American valor and commitment.
Operation Recovery continues its mission to support and relocate our at-risk Afghan allies. While we have made significant strides, our commitment to ensuring safety and justice remains unwavering.
Today, our thoughts and prayers are with the families of those fallen warriors. As an organization, we understand that words can’t fully express our gratitude or heal the pain. Yet, we vow to remember and honor their sacrifice continuously.
Over the conflict in Afghanistan, many have paid the ultimate price, with thousands injured and countless lives forever changed. It is a stark reminder of war’s immeasurable cost and the heavy burdens those in service bear.
Operation Recovery is deeply thankful to all the military personnel, veterans, and individuals who have contributed to Afghanistan. Your sacrifices have strengthened our resolve to support our Afghan allies tirelessly, ensuring their safety and future. Two years on, our mission is as vital as ever, and with your continued support, we will forge ahead with dedication and hope.